Saturday, 7 July 2007

Happy 4th July BBQ

Ahhh 4th July--nothing like celebrating it in another country--you cherish every bit of American food you can get your hands on at one of these! :)
I decided to join an American Expat Woman's Club..and by chance they were having a BBQ for the 4th today (7th). The drama's and the amount of money we spent this morning to make it this afternoon was amazing! First we had to rent a car..easier said than done since all the cars in Newbury were rented by this morning! So Mat found one in Reading, where he had to spend 25 mins on the train to get to. But first, so Mat knew where he was going once he had the car, we had to pick up a hand held satellite navigation device--which we did before he got the train. We then had to buy a car seat (as we need one anyway down the track)..good thing I knew what we wanted! So with rental car, sat nav and new car seat, we were off to the country side to find "the castle" as Nicholas calls the house (it was one of the most amazing houses and backyard I have seen!:

There was a paddling pool:
Hot potato game where you had to try and kick the ball out of the circle:

There was an egg & spoon race with rubber eggs--to which Nicholas says: "No chick in here mommy." Nicholas ran with egg in one hand, spoon in another: There is sooo much space in this backyard--waaaaayy at the back is the boundary fence--and before the boundary is a full sized enclosed tennis court!

Nicholas is so good at finding friends! This little girl was crying and he went up and let her blow his bubbles. I got chatting with her mom (from VA) and dad (British) who were sooo lovely! Unfortunately we don't live that close, but only about a 25 min drive-so I think that we will be in touch down the track! Since 1919, Americans have enjoyed A&W Root Beer--and Nicholas enjoyed it too!! Aunt Darcy--these photo's are for you--we had a CHEERS for you!!! xox :) To finish off the party, there was of course a pinata! All the kids had a go at hitting it--the power (vs. the size) of some of the kids was amazing!

Nicholas with his lollie bag, full of Tootsie rolls-YUMMY! We all had a wonderful time and met some really nice people--Nicholas was pretty pooped afterwards--they did a good job at wearing the kids out. We then went for a quick drive to our next new house--it's a cute little village!

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

MrsT said...

Looks like you all had a great time! At least you'll have the satnav and car seat ready for when you find the right car.

I hope you have some pictures of the new village ready to show us?

Zone8 Knitter said...

Hi,
I am not sure if you remember me. My name is Michele and I worked with your Aunt Sandy at the University.
I now live in OR and was talking to her today and she was telling me about your blog. I checked out the pictures while she was there on a visit.
It looks like you all had a great time.
I thought I would say hello and let you know I like all the photos. I really like the one of the cheeky swan.
Enjoy your new home.

beads4her said...

Hi wonderful people!!
Looks like you are making friends and keeping busy! WOW and you found AW root beer!! You could be in heaven Jenn-- except we aren't there of course!

Sending you big hugs!! Miss u.xxoo

Underthings said...

Dear Nicholas
Aunt Darcy says "CHEERS" to you!! And I loved the egg race!!!

Jenn, I am so glad there seems to be an active expat American women's group there...so different than the one here...but hey, everything is different.

Went to church today and missed having Nic with us. We miss you every day!
xoxoxo
Aunt Darcy