Wednesday, 7 January 2009

Our New Addition


At 37 weeks, a little past midnight on the 7th Jan our baby boy was born-2.94kg or 6.5lbs, copying his big brother with gestation and the 7th as part of his birth day! We also think they look alike!
Unfortunately, Ryan didn't come out with the well and truly developed lungs that Nicholas had. After being looked over by midwives and a paediatrician, it was decided that he needed to be seen in the special care nursery where they could monitor his oxygen levels. He never let out the newborn cry :( --instead he was bleating like a little baby lamb because he was having trouble breathing. At that point, Mat and I thought that we'd have him back with us within a few hours...not days! After they moved me onto the post natal ward, we slowly walked to the ward (2 floors up) where he was. Above is what we found...we were pretty sad...even more sad that he wouldn't be rooming in with me that night. It was really lonely hearing all the other babies with their mommy's! The next morning we visited with another paediatrician who said he had Respiratory Distress Syndrome, but also they were treating him for an infection just in case with antibiotics. Monitors for his breathing & heartbeat, feeding tube, and an IV in his left hand for fluids and antibiotics. We hadn't even heard him cry yet..he was so concentrated on working hard with breathing. I think it was on the 9th that he was able to let out a little cry while his nappy was being changed. The 9th was also the first day that we were able to hold him again.

Nicholas is such a proud big brother. He asked a lot of questions, and loved seeing him in his incubator. This is his first visit to Ryan on Wednesday:

Our first hold after being born on the 9th January.


On the 10th, his incubator's temperature regulator was playing up, so they decided to try him in a normal cot to see how he'd go on just air since the amount of oxygen they were pumping through was minimal...(he passed!)
His little puppy was a gift from his big brother.His jaundice levels were high, so he needed photo-therapy for almost 24 hours.Grandma has her first cuddle on the 11th!In the morning on the 12th, I went up to feed him and instead they sent me to my room--with Ryan in tow! It was such a great feeling wheeling him onto the post-natal ward with me!! He was really sleepy from being under the lights--we just watched him sleep for most of the day I think.He had a busy day of settling in with his Mom and a hearing test.Our first family of 4 photo! Nicholas was very excited to see Ryan in the room with me.Nicholas has his first cuddleRyan thinking that it's time to check out and go home!! Finally, on the 14th, in the evening we were told we could go home!!So with a little wave, we were packed up and strapped in and left before they changed their minds...what an amazing 8 days.

6 comments:

Lisamaree said...

I am so incredibly relieved, delighted, overjoyed, and... letting out a huge sigh. Ryan is adorable, just like Nic, and you've been through soooo much to get him to this point. I am so pleased you're both home, and fine, and able to really start enjoying the 'fun' of being new parents again.

Congrats!

All our love,

Lisa, Titus, Bethy & Mitchy Man

beads4her said...

So beautiful! Love all the photo's! I'm glad you are both home now and doing well. Love you all!!

Nic & Declanxxoo

Underthings said...

Nic gives such good cuddles to his baby brother. We are so happy you are all home together and can get on with things. Ryan is a real trouper! So many wonderful moments ahead with your new little man.

Zone8 Knitter said...

A very Sweet addition. Congratulations on your new boy! His little story was very touching. Having just had a little boy 5 months ago I know how important those first days are. I am glad you were not separated for long. Enjoy your new little.

Erin Campbell said...

I am sitting here reading your post and crying. I am just so relieved that you are all home and doing well. I can't even imagine how much you went through in that 8days. I will send out your package today! I've been procrastinating with the very cold weather :) By the way, does Ryan have a middle name?? Oh, and I told you Nic would adjust well! It all just somehow works out :)

unique_stephen said...

wow - I'm sending this to Alex. Stat